If you’ve taken my skin type test and know that your type is oily/acne prone, then you’re in the right place
SKINCARE ROUTINE FOR OILY SKIN
MOISTURIZE (AM with SPF/PM)
EXFOLIATE (2x weekly)
MASK (1x weekly)
SPOT TREATMENT (as needed)
OPTIONAL: serum, monthly facial, professional treatments
BEST INGREDIENTS FOR OILY SKIN
These are a few ingredients that I love seeing in a skincare formula for oily skin! There are also some ingredients I try to avoid, so keep those in mind too.
Charcoal – So good for drawing out toxins and purifying the skin, I talk about charcoal more in this cleanser review.
Clay – There are different types, but I love Kaolin and Bentonite the most. They help remove excess oil and purify the skin.
Salicylic Acid (BHA) + Glycolic Acid (AHA) – Both of these help to break up oil and dead skin cells that clog pores. Just remember not to over-exfoliate!
Tea tree oil – One of my favorite essential oils! It’s antibacterial, so it’s perf to use as a blemish spot treatment.
So now, let’s talk products! All of the products mentioned below have been a part of my skincare routine at one point or another. There is something for every budget and I know you’ll love these just as much as I do.
Avoid using a face wash that contains sulfates, they just end up stripping away ALL of your skin’s natural oils. When your skin is totally stripped, it’ll produce even more oil to compensate and ain’t nobody got time for that! Oil cleansers are actually really great for your skin type. I know it seems counterintuitive, but oil cleansers are lipophilic, meaning they attract and dissolve excess oil! Plus they’re great for removing makeup. I’m obsessed with Dermalogica’s Precleanse.
RECOMMENDATIONS: REVERSA // KIEHL’S // DERMALOGICA // MILK (full review)
Alcohol-based toners are way too harsh, go with something with a witch hazel base instead. Witch hazel helps to tighten pores and calms breakouts.
RECOMMENDATIONS: HERBIVORE // REVERSA (full review) // THAYERS //
Something lightweight like a gel formula is perfect for giving hydration but won’t feel heavy or oily. Don’t forget your SPF in the daytime (these are all my fave sunscreens)!
RECOMMENDATIONS: WISHTREND (full review) // NO7 // COOLA // REVERSA // ÉMINENCE // FRESH (full review)
If you have a lot of active breakouts, go with a chemical exfoliant rather than physical. The friction of a physical exfoliant will just irritate blemishes and cause inflammation.
RECOMMENDATIONS: KERSTIN FLORIAN // PIXI // KATE SOMERVILLE // ÉMINENCE
Always make sure to cleanse and exfoliate before you mask so there are no dead skin cells in the way. This way your skin can fully absorb the ingredients and you’ll get the most out of the mask. If you do use a clay or mud mask, make sure not to leave it on longer than the amount of time noted or it can dry you out. So even if you’re a few minutes in and you start to feel any sort of tightness happening, remove it ASAP! I always recommend masking at least once a week, but sometimes when I’m in a rush I like to mask and multi-task to get rid of blemishes. I’ll use my mask just as a spot treatment on blemishes while I’m doing my hair or getting ready.
MY RECOMMENDATIONS: // MY ORGANIC ZONE (full review) // FRESH // SEPHORA COLLECTION // THE BODY SHOP
TREATMENTS + TOOLS
The Kate Sommerville EradiKate spot treatment is so bomb and I can’t live without it! The only downside is that it’s not great if you’re leaving the house, unless you want little pink polka dots on your face ;). Lavender or tea tree essential oil are also fab to spot treatments (FYI Saje is the crème de la crème when it comes to essential oils). Of course you guys know I’m also SO obsessed with my Clarisonic, which has brush heads specifically for acne and to deep cleanse pores. For an extra boost, you can apply a serum after cleansing and toning before moisturizer.
MY SERUM RECOMMENDATIONS: ÉMINENCE // JUICE BEAUTY
SHOP THE POST
Getting a facial once a month makes such a huge difference! Plus, I always suggest you see an esthetician for extractions (blackhead/whitehead removal) rather than doing it yourself to avoid scarring.
FAVE PLACES FOR A FACIAL IN VANCOUVER: Willow Stream Spa // Bombay Beauty Co. // Skoah // The Spa at Equinox
These are the only two places I trust when it comes to medical-grade skincare treatments.
SKIN TECHNIQUE (Vancouver) – Skin Technique has the Forever Clear BBL treatment, which uses light therapy to help with acne. I’ve not had it done personally, but it sounds magical AF!
On another note… I have seen a few different doctors for lip fillers over the past couple of years and Dr.Pavlou at Skin Technique is the best by far. He is SO sweet and always makes me feel at ease despite the fact that there are needles being put in my face. LOL. You can peep his Instagram to see all of the before and after pics.
KATE SOMERVILLE SKIN HEALTH EXPERTS (LA)
MORE OILY/ACNE PRONE TIPS
– Always prep the skin using a primer or moisturizer and use a setting spray specifically for oily skin, this will help your glam last and stay put all day.
– Look for products that are none comedogenic, which means the formula won’t clog pores.
– Clean your makeup brushes and sponges after every use! Using clean brushes means less oil, dirt, and bacteria, which lead to breakouts. I use a quick-dry cleaner on the daily and then shampoo them once a week. I know deep cleansing brushes is annoying, but this cleansing mat gets the job done fast AF and it definitely saves water in the process.
– Rather than using a brush to apply setting powder, use a damp beauty blender to pat it into the skin. This helps lock the makeup in, but won’t look cakey I promise! This is exactly what Mario Dedivanovic does on Kim Kardashian!
KEYS TO AVOIDING BREAKOUTS
– Try not to touch your face throughout the day, you’ll get even oilier and the bacteria can cause breakouts.
– Changing your pillowcase every night is a major key! Sleeping on clean linens without bacteria/excess oil/sweat from the night before does wonders. It takes literally 2 seconds and it makes a huge difference, trust me.
– We release so many toxins through our sweat and pores when we workout, so try to shower asap post-workout. I always keep cleansing wipes in my gym bag for when I can’t rinse off right away.
– Do not pick at your blemishes, it won’t make them go away any faster and it can cause permanent scarring.
– Dear god, do not use any of the aggressive acne products you see at the drugstore (oxy pads etc.). You might see results, but they’re only temporary and ultimately it will lead to dryness… I think by now you know what comes after that ;).
– Still can’t figure out what’s causing breakouts? These are 8 ways you’re secretly sabotaging your skin.