One of the many things my boyfriend and I have in common is that we love cooking. Cody is so talented and the food he makes blows my mind every damn time. Though I’m not quite on his level, I have an amazing time cooking with him and he teaches me a lot. Dancing around the kitchen, laughing, and making pancakes is often what our weekend mornings look like. I wouldn’t have it any other way! This is a recipe I’ve adapted from one of my favourite cookbooks, The Gluten-Free Bible. This is by far the best (and easiest) gluten and dairy free pancake recipe I’ve ever made, it’s pretty hard to mess up so anybody can make this.
Gluten & Dairy Free Buttermilk Pancakes
Makes about 16 Pancakes
2 cups of non-dairy milk
3 tablespoons lemon juice (or apple cider vinegar)
2 cups of gluten-free flour (make sure the flour blend DOES NOT contain xanthan gum)**
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons melted Earth Balance Spread (or another dairy-free butter substitute)
Extra Earth Balance for griddle
Maple syrup and fruit
1) Mix milk and lemon juice in a small bowl to make “buttermilk”. Set aside for 5 minutes. The milk will separate… this is what we want to happen, so don’t stress!
2) Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl.
3) In a small bowl, whisk together vanilla, eggs, and Earth Balance. Combine the egg mixture with the buttermilk.
4) Gradually mix the buttermilk mixture into dry ingredients until thoroughly combined.
5) Heat a small amount of Earth Balance on a griddle or large pan over medium heat. Pour about 1/4 cup of batter on to the griddle. Cook for about 2-3 minutes (or until you see the edges brown), turn over and cook for another 2 minutes.
6) Top pancakes with maple syrup, fruit, or whatever you like!!
A quick tip I learned from my man! Whenever the pancakes would “bubble” I would always press them down….Big mistake! This is what makes them light and fluffy, so leave them be.
If you try out this recipe, make sure to tag me on Instagram! What do you like to make with your bae in the kitchen? Let me know in the comments!